Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    oyddodat
    UK Column Monthly Membership

Get well soon mate.

Ian writes at In This Together. His latest books are available for free download on his website.

“Collectivism and freedom are mortal enemies. Only one will survive." - G. Edward Griffin

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ukrpko
    UK Column Annual Membership

Sadly there are no (human) solutions as humanity just keeps repeating the same old shit. The 20th century is being re-run again. The “hot war” is coming and billions are going to die. Enjoy what is left of your life as you can!

Not good enough I’m afraid.
    Inalienable rights… yes, but more importantly (and container for inalienable rights) fear God (the Christian God) more than you fear anything else (Pawson). That is the only pathway open to is now. Best.

Geoff

Fear the Christian God is the only way?

Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude.

ukrpko

Fear the Christian God is the only way?

Yes, to be a follower of Christ is the only way. As politicians cede/capitulate to corporations, the book of revelations is starting to make sense. But if someone fears the jab, the experiments, the threats, the covid passport; and what is yet to come; just take a step back and dwell on on the growing anger of God. I fear that anger more than anything else and you should too. Best.

Geoff

I do not see how living in fear of an angry god would help inalienable rights as a suggested solution, currently?
    Surely there is enough fear going around at the moment? To then say, this fear now is nothing you should fear what god (of anyone’s understanding) is going to do about this.
    Again, does not look like a solution that will have everyone nodding in agreement.
    If it works for you, then great. Does not fit here.

ukrpko

I do not see how living in fear of an angry god would help inalienable rights as a suggested solution, currently?

Surely there is enough fear going around at the moment? To then say, this fear now is nothing you should fear what god (of anyone’s understanding) is going to do about this.

Again, does not look like a solution that will have everyone nodding in agreement.

If it works for you, then great. Does not fit here.

Inalienable rights are in a sense God-given rights (leaving aside for a minute which God you serve). The point being made is not to be frightened by those that seek to destroy our inalienable rights; but rather to fear God more. There is nothing wrong with believing that those who seek to destroy our inalienable rights will reap what they have sown; and furthermore that we should not cower in fear of these dark forces; but fear the wrath of God when his patience is finally at an end. So, for me, it fits.

Timothy Boler

I still think that the concept so-called God-given inalienable rights is a heresy with no basis in Christian scripture.

God commanded what *not* to do, that is, what is *outlawed*, not some ill-defined wishy-washy statement of entitlements – which axiomatically would lead to conflicts of one persons right versus another.

And I don’t believe the use of the phrase “negative rights” gets round this issue either.

ukrpko

I still think that the concept so-called God-given inalienable rights is a heresy with no basis in Christian scripture.

God commanded what *not* to do, that is, what is *outlawed*, not some ill-defined wishy-washy statement of entitlements – which axiomatically would lead to conflicts of one persons right versus another.

And I don’t believe the use of the phrase “negative rights” gets round this issue either.

Heresy? A tad harsh old chap. What *not* to do is very Old Testament in its way of thinking. The New Testament provides the necessary context for this. I also don’t see or can’t infer what you refer to wishy-washy entitlements from the original post at all. Best.

Timothy Boler

Heresy? A tad harsh old chap. What *not* to do is very Old Testament in its way of thinking. The New Testament provides the necessary context for this. I also don’t see or can’t infer what you refer to wishy-washy entitlements from the original post at all. Best.

Ok, maybe it was a bit harsh. But can you give me an example in scripture where a divine “right” is established (in the normal sense of the word)?

Geoff

do u think the wrath of god will fall upon the people trying to take our inalienable rights or just everyone?

ukrpko

Ok, maybe it was a bit harsh. But can you give me an example in scripture where a divine “right” is established (in the normal sense of the word)?

In the normal sense of the word, no. We live by grace alone. Do we have inalienable rights when considering our relationship with other people? Yes. The difference lies in which relationship you’re talking about.

ukrpko

do u think the wrath of god will fall upon the people trying to take our inalienable rights or just everyone?

If you fear a human being or a construct created by a human being (idol) more than you fear the Living God through Jesus Christ our Saviour, then you are doomed. It’s that simple. The Book of Revelations answers your question.

Ian Cameron
    UK Column Lifetime Membership

I think one could argue that the Lord has given people (established) the right to own property through the commandment “You shall not steal.”

This is expressed negatively because to express it positively “You may own property” could easily lead to abuse, whereby I could come around to your place and say “The Lord has said I may own property, so I am taking your car” (which would obviously be stealing – which is what the Lord does not want).

Commandments that are expressed negatively (thou shalt not commit murder) are to be observed all the time. Commandments that are expressed positively (honour thy mother and father, that you may live long in the land) are to be obeyed as one has opportunity. We should always not be stealing. We may own property as we have opportunity.

So I think one can make the case that God has given us the right to life, liberty and property simply by thinking carefully about the commandments he has given.

As a side note, latterly I have been thinking a lot about Jesus’ instruction ‘render to Çaesar what belongs to Çaesar, and to God what belongs to God.’ I am arriving (I think) at the conclusion that neither my labour, nor my house, belong to Çaesar. If that be true, I don’t see that I need to pay property, nor income, tax. As a Christian, am I wrong to hold this view? I can see a time coming when taxes will drive me out of my home. Is that what God wants? How should a Christian man resist state tyranny?

Any thoughts welcome.

ukrpko

… I don’t see that I need to pay property, nor income, tax.

Any thoughts welcome.

“I don’t see the need to…” That’s where you’re going wrong. The *I* part. What does God want you to do?
    You could move… 🙂

Ian Cameron
    UK Column Lifetime Membership

What does God want you to do?

Well, help me out a bit here. Does God want me to pay tax on things that don’t belong to Çaesar?

Phrasing the question that way, I am confident that I should pay road tax, because the roads belong to Çaesar. But I know they didn’t help me buy my house, and they don’t help me with my work. So what is the Biblical argument for paying taxes on things which aren’t Çaesar’s?

As for “you could move” I can’t think of anywhere in the world where I won’t find a Çaesar who wants to tax me.

Seriously, what are the scriptural limits on tax? Are there any? Jesus paid a tax he was expected to pay, but seems to suggest he was paying it, not because he should, but in order not to cause offence.

Does the government have an inalienable right to taxation? If everything I do is taxed at 100 percent, then I am a slave. Tax isn’t 100 percent but it doesn’t have to be to drive someone to bankruptcy.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 UK Column

Forgot your details?